Two days ago I took a giant leap and made my little family blog live for the world to see. I squealed in glee as I pressed send announcing via email, twitter, and facebook that Lily and Bliss was in action. As ecstatic as I was to begin this new adventure, panic set in. In January I told a few friends and family about my postpartum depression (you can read it here). As Lily and Bliss went live yesterday, so did this hidden part of my life. This was terrifying.
As I sat on the floor becoming anxious and tensed with fear, Lily crawled over and rested her sweet head on my knee. That is when I made the choice to be happy and enjoy this moment.
Happiness is a choice.
I believe that you are not given happiness; you have to make it for yourself. Surround yourself with things that can make you choose to be happy. I started to jot down things that made me smile and kept this list for moments when I felt down in the dumps. I do not want to be dependent on medication for PPD forever. So everyday I choose happiness.
Am I successful all the time? Heck NO! Tons of things can happen throughout the day that can be aggravating or stressful that can ruin a happy mood. It is your decision on what you choose to do next. Do you stay annoyed, stressed, sad or pissed off? Sometimes I do – I’m only human. However, I have learned that staying sad only begets more sadness. Without fail, turning to my little list brings a smile to my face making it easy to choose happiness.
Here is a peak at some of my happy thoughts or to do’s that help me choose happiness:
- Knowing Mike, Lily, Bentley, my family, and friends love me. That fact is so special. It makes me warm and fuzzy knowing that I am loved.
- Going on a walk helps clear the mind.
- Opening curtains- let the light shine in. Being in a gloomy room doesn’t help!
- Work out (Think Elle Woods in Legally Blonde – “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”)
- Listen to some sweet tunes while taking a bubble bath.
- Turn up the music and have a dance party with Lily and Mike.
- Read a book.
- The smell of a clean house.
- Fresh sheets out of the dyer!
- Call mom or a friend.
- Do a good deed for someone else- I get joy out of making other people happy.
- Laugh- watch a funny movie, America’s Funniest Home Videos, search on YouTube for funny videos
- Just do something! Plant some flowers. Bake some cookies- then give those cookies to a friend or neighbor (they feel special and you don’t have the guilt of eating 1000 calories!).
Yesterday I got in and out of Target spending only $30(nearly impossible), getting only the items I needed (when does that ever happen?), and I beat the rain- that made me extremely happy. Today if weather permits Lily and I are heading outside to jump in the pool or if it rains I will teach her to dance in it. That makes me happy.