Happy Birthday to my sweet Lily

Lily turns ONE today! I still can’t wrap my head around it. I can still smell the hospital room and the scent of her newborn hair. Didn’t we just take her home from the hospital ? I could have sworn she only learned how to roll not too long ago? This is crazy. Prepping for her party Saturday has been a flood of emotions. I have gone through piles of pictures from the past 11 months and there is this inner tug-o-war of joy vs. sorrow in my heart.

Sorrow because it went by way to quickly. That small baby that would fall asleep in my arms now wants to escape to explore the electrical outlets (like a moth to a flame) or pull dirt out of the planter (awesome;/). She was that small baby that I could lay next to on the ground and just dangle some rings and that would keep her entertained forever. Now as soon as she picks up a toy she tosses it for the next, and so on and so on until every toy is out of the box.

Joy because to watch Lily grow and learn is a treasured gift. This past week alone she learned how to clap, walk with only wanting assistance with one hand, climbed over the ottoman (aka my baby gate, guess I have to actually get gates now!), and find delight over pressing buttons (I mean she has to touch every single light switch, garage door button and the air conditioning touch screen!). I can see her little brain working so hard when I introduce new words. When Lily learns something new she tilts her head, gives the biggest smile so you can see all four teeth and does a little happy dance (cute little bounce with knees, or sways her head back and forth)…these are our favorite moments. Even though she wants to crawl away to explore the electrical outlets she will crawl back and lay her head on my knee or shoulder….giving me a few seconds of heaven.

fabulous morning hair

This morning we burst into Lily’s room shouting “Happy Birthday!” We brought in a single pink balloon and took some pictures to mark this wonderful day. We are going to make this a tradition adding a balloon each year to match the age. What a fun way to wake up on your birthday!!

So today we are going to soak up every minute of her first birthday. To end a year of firsts we are taking her to the Tampa Zoo for the first time (if weather permits!).  Tomorrow is the first birthday party I will throw my daughter and I am tickled over how cute things are turning out…the planner in me started setting up on Monday…yes I am crazy, I know.

To read about Lily’s birth check it out here.

12 Comments
View Comments
  1. Elizabeth commented:
    June 22, 2012 Reply

Happy Birthday to Lily! I love that first pic….it just makes me melt. It does go by so fast. My daughter will be 5 in December (gulp) and I look at her sometimes already and just want to cry!

• Amy Romano commented:
      June 23, 2012 Reply

Elizabeth- Mike and I both had these teary moments throughout the entire day! I’m sure I will blink and she will be as old as your precious girl!

2. mckay commented:
    June 22, 2012 Reply

love the balloon idea! happy happy birthday sweet lily! see you tomorrow. 🙂

• Amy Romano commented:
      June 23, 2012 Reply

thanks love! BTW totally didn’t change our playgroup setup! I’d like to try and keep the kids corralled! See you tomorrow!

3. Linda Young commented:
    June 22, 2012 Reply

Amy, when the boys were small I’d sneak in during the night and tack balloons and streamers across their ceiling, so they’d wake up to a birthday surprise. Now, since they stay up MUCH later than me, I dump laundry baskets of balloons on their beds early (when they are still sleeping). They still want the morning surprise, even at their ages!
    Happy Birthday to Lily!
    Love,
    Aunt Linda

• Amy Romano commented:
      June 23, 2012 Reply

Aunt Ninny- that is awesome!!! Great tips especially for when she becomes a teen! xoxo

4. Kimberly commented:
    June 22, 2012 Reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET GIRL! It’s been so much fun watching her grow and learn, and watching us grow and learn along the way! You are an amazing mommy and I’m so proud of you and Mike. Looking forward to the party tomorrow! xoxo

• Amy Romano commented:
      June 23, 2012 Reply

Thanks Lady! Can’t believe are babies are turning into toddlers!?! See you tomorrow! xo

5. Nana & Papa commented:
    June 22, 2012 Reply

Nothing can compare to the birth of your child, and the first year is truly a whirlwind! If only Lily could know how much love she has brought into so many lives. May the Lord continue to bless you three…..

• Amy Romano commented:
      June 23, 2012 Reply

Thank you so much Nana & Papa for the sweet words! Love and miss you both!xoxo

6. Diane commented:
    June 28, 2012 Reply

How sweet! The first year really does just fly by, and I’m sorry to say it doesn’t get much better after that! My little guy just turned 2 and I’m still in disbelief. But really that first year is so special! I love the balloon for their birthday morning idea. Cute!

One Trackback

1. […] {We continued the tradition from last year and brought in balloons matching her age on her birthday. See last year’spics here) […]