You are gonna think I am crazy but this breakfast treat is so delicious that I have had it for lunch, dinner and dessert (but not all in one day!). It is filling, healthy and tastes like one of my favorite desserts….banana foster! Any dish with warm banana anything is a winner.
This recipe comes from a marvelous food blog, Annie’s Eats, that I discovered via Pinterest. This blog is racked with fantastic recipes. Tired of making your kid the same thing over and over?? Annie has some great ideas here. Looking for more healthy meals or a new menu for the holiday season?? Annie has great ideas as well!
The best part about this dish is that it includes ingredients that I always have, making it a very easy meal. You can also swap out fruits to change it up! I did make one small change to make it a tad healthier and omitted the butter! I have had the dish with and without it and you can’t taste a difference!
So get ready to add a new recipe to your personal favorites people….this dish is that good!
Baked Oatmeal with fruit
From Annie’s Eats
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
¼ cup light maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix the oats, half of the nuts, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk your egg and then add the milk, vanilla, syrup.
- Peel and cut your bananas about ½ inch thick and then lay them on the bottom of the dish.
- Top the bananas with half of your blueberries and then sprinkle with your oatmeal mixture.
- Next pour your liquids over the oatmeal making sure you stay even.
- Top with the remaining blueberries and nuts.
- Bake for 35 minutes (until the top is light brown) and let it cool for 5 minutes.