Vegetarians don’t have to miss out on lasagna anymore! This one has tons of beans, a great source of fiber and protein! There are only two layers in this recipe, but no worries it is very filling. This is also a great recipe to use for a freezer meal!
Bean & Cheese Lasagna
8 cooked lasagna noodles
14 oz. of pasta sauce (I use Bertoli’s olive oil & garlic)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14 oz.) can white beans
1 ½ cup lowfat cottage cheese
2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella
1 (10 oz.) can/jar sliced mushroom pieces, drained
1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion and garlic until tender.
- Add pasta sauce, basil, oregano, beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow this to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and egg in a small bowl.
- Lay four cooked lasagna noodles on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top noodles with half of the cheese mixture and have of the bean mixture.
- Lay four more lasagna noodles down and repeat with the cheese and been mixture.
- Top it off with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.