It Only Takes A Moment…

Wednesday started off great. Woke up and put on an outfit that didn’t consist of leggings or a sports bra…that is rare for any first time readers. Lily and I enjoyed a great trip to the aquarium with my friend Rachel and her sweet daughter Piper.  The girls went nuts waddling through the hallways, splashing in the water park and playing in the sandbox.

During Lily’s long nap I was able to tackle some blog work and other tasks on my ‘to do’ list. When she woke I treated her (and me!) to some frozen yogurt at our local favorite spot, Yogurtology.  Their oatmeal cookie flavor is out of this world. Things all changed when we got home.

I brought Lily into my bathroom so I could wash my face. I have locks on all of my cabinets except my lower drawer (holds hair rolls and my brushes, which she loves to play with) and my top drawer. Mike and I thought that we didn’t need to lock the top drawer. We thought that Lily would never get into anything in there because we never leave her unattended in the bathroom. Plus she is still too short to reach in without making a huge racket. She has to stand on the tips of her toes and even then, she is blindly feeling around for the closest object to grab.

But it only takes a moment. One small moment that Mike and I will regret not locking that top drawer. One small moment that took us to our first trip to the emergency room.

Lily managed to quietly grab Mike’s AlkaLife bottle…twist off the top (a task she has never been able to do!)…and drink. Drink a lot.

(Side note: Family gave us this bottle for Mike to try in attempts to help lessen his sweating. This was not alkaline from a battery. AlkaLife is made for human consumption by placing a few drops in an 8 oz glass of water. To read more about this product read here.)

Not knowing how much she consumed or if this was poisonous for her (as a parent always assume it’s not safe), I scooped her up and put her head under the faucet. I stuffed two fingers into her mouth and swished the water around, an act that quickly upset her and she began to sob. In a flash I picked her up and the bottle and rushed to the living room where I grabbed my computer and looked up the number for poison control.

Peggy was the perfect kind of operator for that hotline. She was controlled, assertive and didn’t make me feel like a horrible parent. Peggy gave me instructions to get Lily to start drinking some water to dilute the matter while we hung up so she could research exactly what to do about this specific substance. Not one to wait, I googled the company and called them directly as well. AlkaLife’s operator could not immediately help and told me they would have someone call me back in a few minutes.

My mind was racing while I waited. I kept reading the back of the label where it said “do NOT drink in concentrate form”.  Peggy called me back and told me that since she did drink it in concentrate form and that so much missing (the bottle was half gone!) she suggested I take her to the hospital.

When I heard from a professional that my child should be taken to the hospital my chest tightened. My eyes started to swell with tears and I jumped up to grab my shoes. I grabbed my diaper bag, her sippy cup and the books she was looking at and headed for the door. As I walked out of the laundry room I grabbed her sweatshirt not knowing if the hospital would be too cold.

Mike was out of town for business and I called him on my way. I lost it. I was so scared. Trying to keep my eyes on the road, I would quickly glance back to Lily to see if she was okay. Luckily a new hospital was built two years ago close to our home. On our way I received the phone call from an AlkaLife representative who confirmed I should take her to the doctor. Getting confirmation from a second source that she needed emergency service made me cry harder.

When I got out of the car I tried to pull it together. Kids feed off of people’s emotions. I was keeping a cool head until I reached the front desk and proceed to rehash our story. My hands were shaking as I was fumbled for my driver’s license and our insurance cards. Due to the seriousness of the situation and Lily’s age we were whisked away as soon as we were checked in.

After the ER doctor spoke with Peggy at poison control they decided that she didn’t need to have her stomach pumped. The solution was to have her down loads of liquid and a few hours of monitoring. Lily has never been given any kind of juice and they brought in two apple juice boxes. She slurped both down no problem and what a sugary treat for her. Ten minutes later she was all hyped on the sugary drinks. Thank goodness she was totally oblivious that her mom was a nervous wreck.

My mom lives close by so she came for support and we had a field day with Lily as she stood and jumped on the bed like it was a trampoline. She recalled the stories of when I was a child and I had to have my stomach pumped twice. I ate poisonous mushrooms and drank my mom’s perfume. Knowing that Lily didn’t have to go that same route put me at ease…a little! We played kid songs on Pandora and let her dance around the room in her diaper. I on the other hand was a hot mess. A crying sweaty hot mess mommy. And then I got puked on.

Lily was laying on me while I was singing her favorite Wiggle song. I started to smell vomit and when I got up I saw that it was all over the hospital bed…that I was just laying on. Puzzled as how puke could have gotten on my back, I had my mom check my back and she started laughing so hard she about peed her pants.  No matter how much she scrubbed she couldn’t get that rancid smell off my shirt. HOT MESS I tell you. Jumping, apple juice and alkaline do not mix well.

And then all the liquid resulted in a big diaper. As we changed her we came to the realization that I only had two more diapers left. Of course this would happen. 15 minutes later she goes number two. Between the puke and that second diaper the Romano women were going to leave their stinky mark in room 27. We were told that we would be there for a few hours so I got a little uneasy that my diaper bag wasn’t properly packed.

When Lily was young I never left the house without a well-packed bag. Even now, at almost 16 months young I never leave the house without the essentials…but who expects to ever run out of the house in an emergency like this when every precious second matters.

After I used our last diaper we got clearance from the doctor that I could take her home. I stayed awake as long as I could and held the video monitor close and analyzed every little sigh she made in her crib. When I knew she was sound asleep I ditched my nasty clothes and hopped in the shower. There were smashed crackers in the bottom of my diaper bag and after taking out all the items (so I thought), I flipped my bag over the sink to dump out the crumbs….and that’s when my hidden car keys fell out and plopped into my dirty coffee mug with water. I think God got a chuckle out of that.

And that’s life with a child. You never know how each day is going to start or end. All it takes is a moment for your day to go from great to grave. All it takes is a moment for your child to get in harms way.  And even if you think your kid doesn’t know how to twist off the top of any bottle….at any moment they can surprise you with their super ninja skills. I can only hope and pray that moments like this are few and far between.

And at this moment, this momma needs her second GIANT cup of caffine and a morning of snuggle time…

NOTE: Keep this number for poison control in your cell phone…you never know when you will have to use it! 1-800-222-1222. It is a free hotline that will direct you to your local control center. And for more information check out the American Association of Poison Control.

View Comments
  1. Megan Dennis commented:
    October 18, 2012 Reply

    AMY!!!! You had me sobbing for you in the beginning and laughing and smiling at the end. I am glad that you and Lily are alright. Thanks for your blogging… I love your writing and you always seem to make me smile when I read your entries. Have a great weekend and get a lock for that top drawer!!
    xo Megan

    • Amy Romano commented:
      October 18, 2012 Reply

      Ha- thanks Megan! Already went to the store and purchase drawer locks and a door lock for our master bedroom! xo

  2. Amanda L commented:
    October 18, 2012 Reply

    Oh my goodness, that made me want to cry! We’ve been having a really hard time with this issue lately – several of our family members have pretty much refused to babyproof their homes and it’s so scary.

    • Amy Romano commented:
      October 18, 2012 Reply

      Oh Amanda I feel for ya! Even prior to this I would at least travel with plastic outlet covers…but at a family’s house- that is a sticky situation. As the parent I would stand my ground. It only takes one small moment one time for your little one to get hurt. I hope and pray that nothing ever happens for you! But I would stand your ground as the parent- good luck!

  3. Shauna commented:
    October 18, 2012 Reply

    Poor Lily!!! So glad you are all ok. Love you guys!!!

    • Amy Romano commented:
      October 18, 2012 Reply

      Thanks Shaun! Lily is just dandy….she is not even phased by yesterday! Love you and miss you! xo

  4. Elizabeth commented:
    October 19, 2012 Reply

    I’m so glad she is ok. And you too!!! Goodness. One time Ella digested one of those little bags that come inside your shoe boxes. You know what I’m talking about? I don’t even know why they have them in there, but stamped on them it says ‘do not consume’ or something of the matter. When Ella was about Lily’s age, I was blowdrying my hair and the next thing I know I look over and she has it in her mouth. Instant panic and tears from me. I just knew she was poisoned and going to die before my eyes. I immediately called the Poison Control Center and they convinced me that it was ok. Those little packets? They’re only sand. Whew!

  5. Catherine commented:
    November 15, 2012 Reply

    I just stumbled across your blog from Pinterest and after scrolling around and seeing the Poison Control number I immediately programmed it into my phone! Thanks for the heads up to have a number I probably never would have thought about until I would be frantically searching for it! 🙂
    Glad all is well with your sweet girl.

    • Amy Romano commented:
      November 16, 2012 Reply

      Hi Catherine! Glad you found the blog and saved the phone number. Frantically searching the internet for it was the worst. It’s a number I hope you never have to use and I have to dial again.
      Enjoy the rest of your day!

2 Trackbacks

  1. By Lily & Bliss | Keeping Her Busy: The Muffin Tin on December 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

    […] kinds of pasta. Since she loves to put anything and everything in her mouth (remember our first ER visit?) this is an activity that requires constant supervision. Sometimes she plays with this for only a […]

  2. By Lily & Bliss | And It Happened Again on April 28, 2014 at 6:50 pm

    […] Last time I was brushing my teeth and in an instant Lily grabbed a bottle of Alkalife, twisted the top of (something she’s never been able to do) and drank half of the bottle. She was standing right next to me. Read all about the nightmare here. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with an *