Wednesday started off great. Woke up and put on an outfit that didn’t consist of leggings or a sports bra…that is rare for any first time readers. Lily and I enjoyed a great trip to the aquarium with my friend Rachel and her sweet daughter Piper. The girls went nuts waddling through the hallways, splashing in the water park and playing in the sandbox.
During Lily’s long nap I was able to tackle some blog work and other tasks on my ‘to do’ list. When she woke I treated her (and me!) to some frozen yogurt at our local favorite spot, Yogurtology. Their oatmeal cookie flavor is out of this world. Things all changed when we got home.
I brought Lily into my bathroom so I could wash my face. I have locks on all of my cabinets except my lower drawer (holds hair rolls and my brushes, which she loves to play with) and my top drawer. Mike and I thought that we didn’t need to lock the top drawer. We thought that Lily would never get into anything in there because we never leave her unattended in the bathroom. Plus she is still too short to reach in without making a huge racket. She has to stand on the tips of her toes and even then, she is blindly feeling around for the closest object to grab.
But it only takes a moment. One small moment that Mike and I will regret not locking that top drawer. One small moment that took us to our first trip to the emergency room.
Lily managed to quietly grab Mike’s AlkaLife bottle…twist off the top (a task she has never been able to do!)…and drink. Drink a lot.
(Side note: Family gave us this bottle for Mike to try in attempts to help lessen his sweating. This was not alkaline from a battery. AlkaLife is made for human consumption by placing a few drops in an 8 oz glass of water. To read more about this product read here.)
Not knowing how much she consumed or if this was poisonous for her (as a parent always assume it’s not safe), I scooped her up and put her head under the faucet. I stuffed two fingers into her mouth and swished the water around, an act that quickly upset her and she began to sob. In a flash I picked her up and the bottle and rushed to the living room where I grabbed my computer and looked up the number for poison control.
Peggy was the perfect kind of operator for that hotline. She was controlled, assertive and didn’t make me feel like a horrible parent. Peggy gave me instructions to get Lily to start drinking some water to dilute the matter while we hung up so she could research exactly what to do about this specific substance. Not one to wait, I googled the company and called them directly as well. AlkaLife’s operator could not immediately help and told me they would have someone call me back in a few minutes.
My mind was racing while I waited. I kept reading the back of the label where it said “do NOT drink in concentrate form”. Peggy called me back and told me that since she did drink it in concentrate form and that so much missing (the bottle was half gone!) she suggested I take her to the hospital.
When I heard from a professional that my child should be taken to the hospital my chest tightened. My eyes started to swell with tears and I jumped up to grab my shoes. I grabbed my diaper bag, her sippy cup and the books she was looking at and headed for the door. As I walked out of the laundry room I grabbed her sweatshirt not knowing if the hospital would be too cold.
Mike was out of town for business and I called him on my way. I lost it. I was so scared. Trying to keep my eyes on the road, I would quickly glance back to Lily to see if she was okay. Luckily a new hospital was built two years ago close to our home. On our way I received the phone call from an AlkaLife representative who confirmed I should take her to the doctor. Getting confirmation from a second source that she needed emergency service made me cry harder.
When I got out of the car I tried to pull it together. Kids feed off of people’s emotions. I was keeping a cool head until I reached the front desk and proceed to rehash our story. My hands were shaking as I was fumbled for my driver’s license and our insurance cards. Due to the seriousness of the situation and Lily’s age we were whisked away as soon as we were checked in.
After the ER doctor spoke with Peggy at poison control they decided that she didn’t need to have her stomach pumped. The solution was to have her down loads of liquid and a few hours of monitoring. Lily has never been given any kind of juice and they brought in two apple juice boxes. She slurped both down no problem and what a sugary treat for her. Ten minutes later she was all hyped on the sugary drinks. Thank goodness she was totally oblivious that her mom was a nervous wreck.
My mom lives close by so she came for support and we had a field day with Lily as she stood and jumped on the bed like it was a trampoline. She recalled the stories of when I was a child and I had to have my stomach pumped twice. I ate poisonous mushrooms and drank my mom’s perfume. Knowing that Lily didn’t have to go that same route put me at ease…a little! We played kid songs on Pandora and let her dance around the room in her diaper. I on the other hand was a hot mess. A crying sweaty hot mess mommy. And then I got puked on.
Lily was laying on me while I was singing her favorite Wiggle song. I started to smell vomit and when I got up I saw that it was all over the hospital bed…that I was just laying on. Puzzled as how puke could have gotten on my back, I had my mom check my back and she started laughing so hard she about peed her pants. No matter how much she scrubbed she couldn’t get that rancid smell off my shirt. HOT MESS I tell you. Jumping, apple juice and alkaline do not mix well.
When Lily was young I never left the house without a well-packed bag. Even now, at almost 16 months young I never leave the house without the essentials…but who expects to ever run out of the house in an emergency like this when every precious second matters.
After I used our last diaper we got clearance from the doctor that I could take her home. I stayed awake as long as I could and held the video monitor close and analyzed every little sigh she made in her crib. When I knew she was sound asleep I ditched my nasty clothes and hopped in the shower. There were smashed crackers in the bottom of my diaper bag and after taking out all the items (so I thought), I flipped my bag over the sink to dump out the crumbs….and that’s when my hidden car keys fell out and plopped into my dirty coffee mug with water. I think God got a chuckle out of that.
And that’s life with a child. You never know how each day is going to start or end. All it takes is a moment for your day to go from great to grave. All it takes is a moment for your child to get in harms way. And even if you think your kid doesn’t know how to twist off the top of any bottle….at any moment they can surprise you with their super ninja skills. I can only hope and pray that moments like this are few and far between.
And at this moment, this momma needs her second GIANT cup of caffine and a morning of snuggle time…
NOTE: Keep this number for poison control in your cell phone…you never know when you will have to use it! 1-800-222-1222. It is a free hotline that will direct you to your local control center. And for more information check out the American Association of Poison Control.