The month of October is a time to stand up and support survivors, women still fighting and those who have lost their battle to breast cancer.
My mother had a scare when I was in high school. My parents held back the news that doctors had found something for sometime to protect my brother and me. One day I was having an argument with my mom (probably over not being about to go out to a party) when she started crying and confessed what she had been hiding. Suddenly my teenager dilemma became insignificant. My mom had the mass removed and fortunately it was not cancerous. She is one of the lucky ones. Just thinking back my stomach is turning and the thought of loosing her to breast cancer is beyond heartbreaking. My love and prayers go out to anyone who has family or friends battling breast cancer.
One in eight U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer. About 85% occur in women with no family history of breast cancer. A woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. (These facts taken from here)
Nearly 40,000 women will die in 2012 from breast cancer. 109 women die every day from breast cancer…4 die every hour…1 in every 15 minutes. And Men get breast cancer too. (these fact found here)
Volunteer, donate or participate in events that fight against breast cancer. If you don’t have time there are still ways for your to get involved. You can simply donate to wonderful organizations like:
Breast Cancer is the perfect excuse to shop if you ask me. Here are 10 items you can purchase that a percentage will go to various cancer charities.)1. Pink Pony tee $88 Ralph Lauren
2. AG Adriano Goldschmied jeans $159, 20% of the proceeds go to the Keep A Breast Foundation
3. One Voice Hopefull Heart Charm $34 Dogeared
4. Nine West leopard print loafer flats $34.50. Shop on QVC on Wednesday October 24th where this shoe will be on sale and 100% of proceeds go to charity!
5. The Opi Pink of Hearts Duo Set, including You Glitter Be Good to Me & I Think In PInk, $15 at OPI, donating $25,000 to Susan G. Komen.
6. Hardshell Needlepoint Print Phone Case Tory Burch $48, 15% up to $15,000 to BCRF.
7. Rope bracelet, $38; KielJamesPatrick.com. 20% to BCRF.
8. Strawberry Fields Tic Tac mints are $1.29 at all local retailers. Tic Tac will donate $100,000 to CancerCare.
9. Clinique’s Limited Edition Breast Cancer Awareness Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion with a Clinique signature key ring and a Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Ribbon Charm $36 Bloomingdales, $10.00 from this purchase will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation®.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers Pink Terrible Towel $9.95